Saturday Quotathon: Women

>> Saturday, April 3, 2010


The view of women has often been focused on the physical or superficialities. Today, I'm look for quotes by women or about women that see beyond that.

Too much of a good thing is wonderful.
--Mae West

I was always looking outside myself for strength and confidence but it comes from within. It is there all the time.
--Anna Freud

Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.
--Faith Whittlesey

Intimacy is being seen and known as the person you truly are.
-- Amy Bloom

If you are never scared or embarrassed or hurt, it means you never take any chances.
- Julia Sorel

Speak the truth in a million voices. It is silence that kills.
- Catherine of Siena, 1347 - 1380

No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up.
-- Lily Tomlin

Instead of comparing our lot with that of those who are more fortunate than we are, we should compare it with the lot of the great majority of our fellow men. It then appears that we are among the privileged.
--Helen Keller, 1880 - 1968

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new heaven to the human spirit.
--Helen Keller, 1880 - 1968

I love you not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you.
-Elizabeth Barrett Browning

You can give without loving, but you cannot love without giving.
-Amy Carmichael

If you judge people, you have no time to love them.
-Mother Theresa

Time and trouble will tame an advanced young woman, but an advanced old woman is uncontrollable by any earthly force.
-Dorothy Sayers “Clouds of Witness”

She has a sense of humor... and brains... life wouldn't be dull. One would wake up, and there would be a whole day full of jolly things to do. And then we would come home and go to bed... and that would be jolly too.
-Dorothy Sayers “Strong Poison”

The great advantage about telling the truth is that nobody ever believes it.
-Dorothy Sayers

As I grow older and older
And totter toward the tomb
I find that I care less and less
Who goes to bed with whom
-Dorothy Sayers

Somehow or other, and with the best of intentions, we have shown the world the typical Christian in the likeness of a crashing and rather ill-natured bore—and this in the name of one who assuredly never bored a soul in those thirty-three years during which he passed through the world like a flame.
-Dorothy Sayers

I'm never going to accomplish anything; that's perfectly clear to me. I'm never going to be famous. My name will never be writ large on the roster of Those Who Do Things. I don't do anything. Not one single thing. I used to bite my nails, but I don't even do that any more.
-Dorothy Parker

The whole duty of man consists in being reasonable and just ... I am reasonable because I know the difference between understanding and not understanding and I am just because I have no opinion about things I don’t understand.
- Gertrude Stein

The strongest natures, when they are influenced, submit the most unreservedly; it is perhaps a sign of their strength.
- Virginia Woolf

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Our earth is round, and, among other things, that means that you and I can hold completely different points of view and both be right. The difference of our positions will show stars in your window I cannot even imagine. Your sky may burn with light, while mine, at the same moment, spreads beautiful to darkness. Still we must choose how we separately corner the circling universe of our experience. Once chosen, our cornering will determine the message of any star and darkness we encounter.
-June Jordan

No man chooses evil because it is evil; he only mistakes it for happiness, the good he seeks.
-Mary Wollstonecraft


Looks like quotes "about" women may have to wait. Of course, I'm going to have to get more. Most of the quotes I've found "about" women are somewhat, well, I'll need more.

5 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations