Great Resource for Wannabe Writers - Updated

>> Thursday, February 18, 2010


I think The Mother might have mentioned this site before, but I hadn't paid enough attention clearly. When I was reading my pal, Project Savior's, post, he noted a terrific site recommended by the agent he'd queried called queryshark.blogspot.com. Project Savior (Darrell B. Nelson) wrote a clever query I think (and so did the agent), but I've learned so much trolling through the blog on queries, my head is spinning. Boy, have I been doing things wrong.

This agent, Janet Reid, (another excellent blog, by the way) fields queries and tells authors what's wrong with them, posting them on the blog with comments. Fantastic! Seriously, if you plan to market your work, you should read through queryshark and her agent blog.

The Mother definitely mentioned another blog called Miss Snark (which hasn't been updated in a few years and is still well worth reading - must find time.

Hope that helps. I know it helped me.

Some added sites from comments:

Nathan Bransford (literary agent)
Publishing Rants
Book Ends Literary Agency
Kaye Dacus' Manuscript 101


Thank you MA Fat Woman and Jeff King.

9 comments:

  • Gianetta
     

    Nathan Bransford's blog is good information to have about queries too.

  • The Mother
     

    The link to Queryshark isn't working, but you can find it with a search. I hadn't run into that one. Thanks.

  • Stephanie Barr
     

    I have fixed the link. I just realized it was broken myself. Thanks. Janet Reid is into your kind of book, too, I think, The Mother.

    MA Fat Woman, I'll go looking.

  • Dr. Cheryl Carvajal
     

    Awesome. I've added both to my blog roll...

    Now if I could just get up the nerve to send out my novels again, I'd get to use these resources!

  • Jeff King
     

    Yea I've been through them all...

    here are just a few, you need to check out.

    http://pubrants.blogspot.com/
    http://bookendslitagency.blogspot.com/

    It’s very important to know how to query, and have a great book proposal. If these are lack luster you’re never getting your foot in the door.

    I know your writing is good enough; now break out a great Query and let’s get you published. Also your novel needs to be formatted correctly that is another thing that could get you rejected…

    If your book is awesome, but you write crap proposals and queries, it’s all in vain.
    Good luck.

  • Jeff King
     

    Also this site has more info... it is full of great Information, trust me check it out.

    http://kayedacus.com/2007/05/23/manuscript-101-introduction-basic-manuscript-format/

  • Marilynne
     

    Thanks for the great list at the bottom of the post. Just what I need to give myself confidence.

  • Jeff King
     

    No prob I have lots more.

    This is the link to Kaye Dacus blog, which give hundreds of post about everything concerned with writing. Just incase people didn't know where to go after checking out her format page.

    http://kayedacus.com/writing-series-index/

  • Jeff King
     

    http://misssnarksfirstvictim.blogspot.com/

    The mother could have ment this one... awesome blog. worth a vist for writers.

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations