Polar Opposites

>> Sunday, August 9, 2009


My sister, Shakespeare, is here for a visit and I'm reminded how different our personalities are.

That's not a bad thing or a criticism, just an observation. Where as I am confrontational, she is quiet. Whereas I'm a nightowl, she gets up early. Whereas I'm straightforward, she's subtle. I'm loud, she's quiet. Whereas I watch a film and, yes, talk about it, she likes to just immerse herself.

We've married equally different (but equally good) men, were closer to different parents growing up, have different interests, different tastes, different diets, different habits, and different styles. Our favorite books are different, and though we like many of the same books and movies, it's apparently for different reasons. We even look completely different.

Having said all that, she is absolutely one of my favorite people, and I'm not just saying this because she'll likely read this. We DO enjoy many of the same things. Neither of us need to entertain each other. Both of us share important values, including personal responsibility and being fairly passivist (her to a greater extent than I).

How we got there and who were are notably different, but we both believe largely in the same things. Oh, and we like to spend time together, even if we're not doing anything special.

That's about as good as it gets.

6 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations