Star Trek

>> Sunday, May 17, 2009

So, it's Sunday again, the last Hubble Servicing Mission is up and doing the impossible via EVA (more when they're safely down, but you can read about what's going on here), I've started my novel rework and, of course, I have small children and kittens I could talk about.

So, naturally, I'm going to talk about Star Trek.


I am a Trekkie - sort of. I mean, I love the original Star Trek, grew up with it, loved the characters. I loved it, saw every episode multiple times, occasional horrible story, always cheesy effects and all. Loved it. (If you haven't seen it and don't want spoilers, you might want to stop here, because I'm going to say what I think and it could spoil some aspects for you).

I saw the first six movies, though I never thought they quite caught the magic of the show (though the effects were certainly improved). I never fell in love with any of the new TV show incarnations. They had some strengths, of course, but none of them, in my opinion, were able to recapture the original chemistry of the characters and their interactions. I like some of the characters, but I never had an ensemble that worked for me like that first one.

Well, I've found it again. I loved the movie. Now, if you're a geeky, technical details Star Trek fan, if you have timelines of the various pieces and compare, if you won't stand for liberties taken with the sacred episodes in place, you won't like it, you may even hate it. Liberties were taken. That cop-out that was used (to great excess) in the latest Star Trek shows, time travel, is here, too.

The characters were key for me. I loved them, found the backstory compelling to building them and their interaction. Was the story perfect? Nope. But I've seen worse. Were the special effects excellent? Yes. Were the characters key to the story, to the movie, to everything? Yes, and they're back.

And that's all I needed from the movie.

9 comments:

  • *lynne*
     

    I never considered myself a trekkie (trekker?), but I do enjoy sci-fi, yet while growing up I didn't get much exposure to all things sci-fi or trek. It's really over the past 4 years, being in the US, able to finally see the entire 5 seasons of Babylon 5 and all its spinoffs/movies; get addicted to Buffy/Angel; and of course, being able to catch all those TNG reruns on Spike channel (and now TOS on MeTV).. ... ... anyways, that was a long way of saying I am now a fan, and am looking forward to this new Star Trek movie. Hubby and I haven't made plans to see it yet, but will probably do so before the month is over. Then I bet I'll be gushing about it on one of my blogs, LoL!! :D

  • Mike
     

    I love Star Trek - I grew up on it. I still enjoy it and look forward to seeing the new movie.

  • flit
     

    I used to enjoy Star Trek as well.. it's been a very long time though

  • Dr. Cheryl Carvajal
     

    You and I were fans way back--and I agree that none of the new incarnations of it ever really worked for me (though "The Wrath of Khan" was amazing, if only because of Khan).

    I really, really loved that movie. Were there holes? Yup. But, honestly, who cares? The only thing I still can't wrap myself around is the same actor from HEROES playing Spock. All I can see is Sylar... and it creeps me out.

    Still, it was brilliantly planned out, brilliantly done. I'd go see it again!

    Someone walking out of the theater with us said, "I can't wait 'til the next one!" I couldn't agree more.

  • Stephanie Barr
     

    I liked 2 and 4 as well, but I maintain that the original chemistry wasn't the same. I can enjoy a movie (or a show) and still be missing what I found key to the original series.

    I feel like I found it here. I will own it on DVD and I look forward to what comes next. Spok is the hardest one for me to come to grips with (I think it's a personal reaction to his full rather than slimmed down face - not his acting). As I never watched HEROES, I don't have an preconceived notions.

  • Bob Johnson
     

    Timely post, My wife, and I along with my youngest daughter and fiance are going to the Galaxy theater to see it tonight.

  • Phyl
     

    I can't wait to see it! I'm a fan of all the various incarnations, but I'm really looking forward to a recapturing of the magic of the original.

  • The Mother
     

    My hubby is a rabbid trekker. My sons cut their teeth on reruns and the Next Generation show. It is a crime in my house to not know certain plot lines or which episode specific quotes were from.

    And we LOVED the new movie. And the time paradox plot twist? It has freed this generation up for brand new adventures.

    I'd call that cunning. Not trite.

  • Stephanie Barr
     

    I have to go with you. After the way Enterprise completely butchered timelines, this seemed perfectly reasonable to me. I'd just noticed the only angry hate-review I've seen of it to date seemed to think the timeline made it a complete copout.

    I didn't agree. I'm with you, Mother.

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations