Saturday Quote-a-thon: Beauty

>> Saturday, May 2, 2009


It's Saturday Quote-a-Thon and, since I was mentioning physical beauty yesterday, I thought I'd look for quotes about beauty. Except, I seem to have very few that aren't insults. I wonder what it means that so many choose to focus on appearance to insult. I guess beauty just isn't that big for me. I'm sort of a substance type.

She is a peacock in everything but beauty.
- Oscar Wilde

She not only kept her lovely figure, she's added so much to it.
- Bob Fosse

She was a large woman who seemed not so much dressed as upholstered.
- James Matthew Barrie

She was so ugly she could make a mule back away from an oat bin.
- Will Rogers

She wears her clothes as if they were thrown on with a pitchfork.
- Jonathan Swift

The tautness of his face sours ripe grapes.
- William Shakespeare

Glenda Jackson has a face to launch a thousand dredgers.
- Jack deManio

Her face was her chaperone.
- Rupert Hughes

But I did know some that were really about beauty.

My favorite of all time (and I doing this one from memory):

A woman who makes you feel good about yourself is never homely. After a while, you realize she always was beautiful. You just didn't notice it at first.
-Robert Heinlein (that's his picture from Wikipedia)

2 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations