Shutting Her Down

>> Monday, January 3, 2011

So, here's the thing. Blogging has become a chore, generally. No longer something I want to do, but something I feel obligated to do. I feel I owe it to people instead of doing it for joy. I took off for my vacation, making a point of taking time to do things I wanted to do . . . and blogging didn't really come up.

Well, truth is, I have enough obligations between my children and my husband and my full time job and my somewhat demanding avocations. I'm not willing to continue pursuing a voluntarily activity that isn't voluntary, or at least, not to the level I has been. Three blogs is just too much for someone who isn't into it. Between Rocket Scientist and Ask Me Anything, I've written 677 posts, many of which I'm quite proud of. But I feel like I've said what I'd wanted to say with them.

So, I'm retiring them. I'll leave them up a bit longer, perhaps indefinitely. And I'll keep up Rockets and Dragons which will be primarily focused on writing fiction, since that particular avocation still calls me and compels me. If you want to find me, say hi, ask a question, you can find me there. I'll migrate my favorite blogs from these lists over there and I'll still try to come round, though it might not be as often as it once was. Only so many hours in the day and I have to fit sex--er--sleep in there somewhere.

It has been a great deal of fun. I've learned a lot and made a few exceptional blog buddies.

Thank you for coming by so often. And a good road to you.

14 comments:

  • Aron Sora
     

    Thank you for everything, blogging with you was one of the best experiences of my high school career, I'll still be checking out your other website, but I've tended to be a lerker in the past. There needs to be more people like you, who won't do anything they don't want to do. My comment sounds really corny, but this blog really had an impact on me.

    I'm sorry about your grandmother.

  • Jeff King
     

    You'll be around so, I’m not going to say good-bye...

    I want you to know you’re the one person that has helped me (in regards to writing) above any other, and that includes friends, family or anyone in-between.

    I sure hope to hear from you from time to time… keep us posted on your writing and progress.
    Thx; best of luck to you and your family.

  • Quadmama
     

    When it's no longer fun, it's time to step back. Maybe you'll be back again, who knows. I'll miss your wisdom and wit.

  • Quadmama
     

    I also want to say thank you for all your help and support as I started my blog and muddled through the Today.com madness.

  • GumbyTheCat
     

    *pouts*

  • Dr. Cheryl Carvajal
     

    I certainly understand, sis. I'll only blog when it suits me, for I have lots of other stuff, and I don't want to feel pressured to say something when I have nothing.

    Love ya.

  • Roy
     

    Dang! Well, it was fun while it lasted. Luckily Rockets and Dragons will still be up, so at least I'll see you somewhere (even the rare Gather comment).

  • Darrell B. Nelson
     

    I totally understand your feelings. I've actually been quite amazed at the amount of energy you have to do everything you you've taken on.
    There always has to be a time when you have to take a step back and recharge.
    If I could give you some advise you could leave the blog up with a disclaimer saying its not active and a link to Rockets and Dragons, that way if in a year or two you feel like bloging again it will still be there.
    As you know I've really enjoyed your blog.

  • The Mother
     

    Wow! What are we going to do without you?

    I will always remember my rocket scientist pal. Enjoy.

  • Stephanie Barr
     

    As Jeff said, I'm still around. I'm not actually evaporating, just no longer trying to keep with more than I want to.

    I do, however, appreciate all the support.

    Thank you. I would never have done what I've done without it.

  • Anonymous
     

    It is at once exhilarating and peaceful when you find your joy and then let it find you.  Live long and prosper, little grasshopper!

    Mike Hawthorne

  • Gianetta
     

    Good for you. Ive enjoyed reading your blog.

  • Relax Max
     

    Well... ok.

  • Boris Legradic
     

    Sad to hear that you won't be posting regularly any more, but I certainly understand. My own blog tends to languish for weeks when I don't feel like blogging. I do hope you'll pipe up eventually again, because I have always enjoyed your posts. Even if it is only a couple of times a year - there is no lower limit for blog-frequency you know - you'll show up on the rss-feed anyway!

    All the best,
    Boris

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations