Writing Frenzy Hiatus

>> Thursday, November 25, 2010

I am an odd writer. There are tons of people out there who need to write so many words a day, push themselves to put something on paper no matter what. I'm not saying anything against that, not by a long shot. I think there is no right or wrong methods for a writer.

But I know it doesn't work for me. My inner me, the subconscious me, the one that does all the good thinking, decides what I write and when. What that means is that, if I don't have something to be writing, it won't come, it won't be forced. Or, if I do force it, it won't be worth saving. Note that's just how it is for me. I can't write on command unless I want to just produce garbage.

But, there is an up side. When it comes, when I do have something to write, it flows out effortlessly and I love writing it, love reading what I've written. I seem to be finding my rhythm. Last year, about this time, I had no intention of joining into NaNoWriMo, but ended up writing one of my favorite novels, Tarot Queen, over the course of about 45 days (90+K words) over October and November. I loved writing it and it remains the cleanest first draft I've ever written.

I wrote a sequel to another novel earlier this year. It wasn't quite as fast, but it also moved swiftly. In between, very little was written, but what I wrote when I wrote really worked for me.

Well, I'm in the throes of another novel. I'd picked up several projects, but none of them got my creative juices flowing. None of them put me in the zone. Then I started this little character study inspired by a number of my favorite types of characters, one that spoke to me. At first, I thought it would be just for my own pleasure, that there was no novel actually associated with it.

Well, over the past nine days (while working full time), I have cranked out more than 25,000 words and I'm still going strong. It means I do have a novel here, one I'm loving. Which means I am having a wonderful time (and talking to me is likely to get me gushing about my novel, so you might want to refrain). That also means that on-line activities will be at a minimum until the magic recedes.

I hope you don't mind. If it makes you feel better, I am having the time of my life.

4 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations