Saturday Quotathon: Gandhi

>> Saturday, December 12, 2009


For those of you keeping track, I "finished" my novel, except it's not quite done. But it's close. Hopefully, this weekend. I actually walked both yesterday and Thursday, but I focused on the novel (4500 words yesterday), instead of blogging. When I've got it finished up, I'll be able to do more blogging. In the meantime, how about a bit of wisdom from Gandhi?

Corruption ought not to be an inevitable product of democracy.
-Mahatma Gandhi

I do not want my house to be walled in on sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any.
-Mahatma Gandhi

To call woman the weaker sex is a libel; it is man's injustice to woman. If by strength is meant brute strength, then, indeed, is woman less brute than man. If by strength is meant moral power, then woman is immeasurably man's superior. Has she not greater intuition, is she not more self-sacrificing, has she not greater powers of endurance, has she not greater courage? Without her, man could not be. If nonviolence is the law of our being, the future is with woman. Who can make a more effective appeal to the heart than woman?
-Mahatma Gandhi

For this cause I too am prepared to die, but for no cause, my friend, will I be prepared to kill.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Passive resistance is an all-sided sword; it can be used anyhow; it blesses him who uses it and him against whom it is used.
-Mahatma Gandhi

We must always seek to ally ourselves with that part of the enemy that knows what is right.
-Mahatma Gandhi

If one has no affection for a person or a system, one should feel free to give the fullest expression to his disaffection so long as he does not contemplate, promote, or incite violence.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Non-violent resistance implies the very opposite of weakness. Defiance combined with non-retaliatory acceptance of repression from one's opponents is active, not passive. It requires strength, and there is nothing automatic or intuitive about the resoluteness required for using non-violent methods in political struggle and the quest for Truth.
-Mahatma Gandhi

If we were to drive out the English with the weapons with which they enslaved us, our slavery would still be with us even when they have gone.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Non-violence is not a garment to be put on and off at will. Its seat is in the heart, and it must be an inseparable part of our very being.
-Mahatma Gandhi

There is no way to peace; peace is the way.
-Mahatma Gandhi

An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.
-Mahatma Gandhi

A 'No' uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a 'Yes' merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Truth never damages a cause that is just.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Hope is eternal - Its worship never goes in vain.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Speak only if it improves upon the silence.
-Mahatma Gandhi

If one is able to stop smoking, he may continue, if he is unable to quit, then he must!
-Mahatma Gandhi

I can combine the greatest love with the greatest opposition to wrong.
-Mahatma Gandhi

A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave.
-Mahatma Gandhi

6 comments:

  • Richard
     

    Congratulations on the novel! Is this one based on the same premise as your Tarot Queen stories? Once you're happy with it, let me know if you need a beta reader or critter.

  • Jeff King
     

    Yes congrats, I am seriously jealous... I am only 48k words and 5 months worth of work. Finding time to write has not been easy...

    "If one is able to stop smoking, he may continue, if he is unable to quit, then he must!
    -Mahatma Gandhi"

    I like this one best.

  • Stephanie Barr
     

    Richard, it is from the same premise as Tarot Queen. It's a book about the daughter born in the Tarot Queen stories. It's going to need some refinement, but I love my characters and, hey, that's my favorite part.

    Sorry you don't have time, Jeff. Believe me, I know what that's like.

  • Roy
     

    I knew we'd get a Gandhi fest out of you one of these Saturdays! A Douglas Adams fest is next, maybe?

    Congratulations on the novel.

  • The Mother
     

    "Truth never damages a cause that is just."

    I wish a lot of the world got that one.

    Ghandi was brilliant, and far ahead of his time.

  • Dr. Cheryl Carvajal
     

    I love the quote about women best. I am astonished sometimes at how inherently different women are from men. Should I say superior? No. But I think I get along with them better, and for good reason.

    Congrats on the novel. I am three pages away from finishing my revision, but I figured out over the last day that I still have a ways to go... I have to go through the second 1/2 of the novel again, illuminating the struggle of a certain character a bit more. The novel is SO much better, but it isn't good enough to send out yet, and that is my goal.

    Can't wait to read yours!

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations