Saturday Quotathon: Mixed Bag

>> Saturday, November 28, 2009


Before today's quotes, I think I need a recap of the entries to the win the cards contest. What I need from everyone still interested in the cards, is confirmation that they are. I'm also going to list the great ideas people gave me who weren't interested. The contest continues through today and, Monday, I'll announce the winner.

Great ideas but don't want cards:

  • Project Savior - What inspires me (already used it!)

Great ideas that might be entrants into the contest if they DO want cards. Do you? Let me know in a comment if you want the cards!

  • flit - feeble attempt to get me to write papers for her
  • Patricia Rockwell - What do I think of the Hadron Collider
  • Shakespeare - Start a poem or a short story in a session and see if commenters will continue it
  • Shakespeare - "What would I do when..." blog - not sure if she meant me to start another blog or just do this periodically.
And thank you to everyone who wished me happy birthday.

Now, enough dilly-dallying... Bring on the quotes.

Listening to both sides of a story will convince you that there is more to a story than both sides.
-- Frank Tyger

Me, I'm dishonest. And a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for. Because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.
-Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the Black Pearl

All sunshine makes a desert.
-Arabic Proverb

A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
-Stephen Crane

I will permit no man to narrow and degrade my soul by making me hate him.
- Booker T. Washington

With great power comes great responsibility.
- Stan Lee

A faith is something you die for, a doctrine is something you kill for. There is all the difference in the world.
- Tony Benn

If you shut your door to all errors truth will be shut out.
- Rabindranath Tagore

Intelligence is like four-wheel drive. It only allows you to get stuck in more remote places.
- Garrison Keillor

The world always makes the assumption that the exposure of an error is identical with the discovery of the truth — that error and truth are simply opposite. They are nothing of the sort. What the world turns to, when it has been cured of one error, is usually simply another error, and maybe one worse than the first one.
- H. L. Mencken

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
- Niels Bohr

Money is a good servant but a bad master.
-French Proverb

There ain’t no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them.
-Mark Twain

Painting is easy when you don’t know how but very difficult when you do.
-Edgar Degas [Ed. This applies to writing as well.]

No matter how much women prefer to lean, to be protected and supported, nor how much men desire to have them do so, they must make the voyage of life alone, and for safety in an emergency they must know something of the laws of navigation.
-Elizabeth Cady Stanton

If lawyers had been present on Mount Sinai, the Ten Commandments would have twelve hundred amendments, all summing to the conclusion: The rich may ignore the rules, the poor will be hanged if they violate the smallest subordinate clause.
-Robert Anton Wilson

Only the madman is absolutely sure.
-Robert Anton Wilson

6 comments:

  • Dr. Cheryl Carvajal
     

    I WOULD like the cards--if I win--but more than anything else, I'd like you to do the weekly "What Would You Do When" column. I just think that would match your brains to the world at large. It's sort of like Ask Me Anything, but it's more of a hypothetical situation, rather like "Man vs. Wild."

    Love the last quote. At least now I know I'm not mad (oh, wait, there are probably many signs of madness, this being only one).

    Thanks for the quotes!

  • The Mother
     

    I think you hit pay dirt with the very first one. Too true.

  • Anonymous
     

    I didn't have a great idea but I would love the cards. I did wish you a happy birthday. But I am just a consistent reader and hardly ever comment so I think you should reward your readers who interact with you. (But I would still like the cards)(I'm such a baby, aren't I?)

  • Jeff King
     

    I think you need to talk about the 10 ten invetions that help shape the world...

    what could be better than that.

  • Phyl
     

    I have loved that Stephen Crane quotation for years. It can feel a bit unnerving at first, but I find it rather exciting.

    And the Tony Benn quote is wonderful! I've already used it on Facebook. :-)

    And by the way -- belated (?) happy birthday!

  • Relax Max
     

    Writing has always been easy for me. I am saddened to find out why.

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations