Not Exactly NaNoWriMo

>> Wednesday, November 11, 2009


I have never striven to do the NaNoWriMo. There are several reasons for this, not the least of which is that anything I write, if I'm not driven to write it, is not salvageable. I'm not saying many people can't use this method effectively, but writing on command has not been successful for me. Ever.

Also, November is a busy month in my household. And you're supposed to be starting a "new" novel and I generally have eight or so going at one time, so starting a new novel is generally something I'm trying to avoid. And I work full time and have kids and stuff.

I'm not criticizing those for whom this activity really kicks 'em into gear. Whatever works. I suspect there are as many ways to write as there are writers.

But I was never going to do it.

But, here's the irony. I got inspired with a new novel last month, as I was coming off a week-long miserable bout with the flu. It's an idea I've had FOREVER, but I didn't have characters fleshed out. Well, I have them now! So I started writing, every free moment I could manage. Not NaNoWriMo, because I started October 16, but, as of today (so far), November 11, I have 46,155 words, which makes making 50,000+ by Sunday (30 days) all but a done deal. So, I'm doing the intent of NaNoWriMo, just starting early.

If you're doing NaNoWriMo this month, don't be discouraged. Remember, I started early (though I hadn't really intended to rush through it, either - it's purely accidental).

Now, I won't have a finished novel on Sunday. This book is going go be longer than that, I'm guessing close to 90K words, maybe longer, so I've got a good ways to go, but I've got the ending worked out and much of what's still remaining between here and now. And I'm still loving it. I might not be objective about it for weeks. My MIL has been reading it as I go and she keeps hounding me for more (which is also an incentive), but mostly I love my sarcastic badass demon protagonist and my innocent and intractable tarot queen. And, as an added surprise, I'm actually including a dog AND no talking cats (though, of course, a cat). But I still have some conversational quirks you might not see coming.

What fun! And, on that note, I have to get back. For everyone else toiling away on their novels, hey, good luck! I hope you're enjoying it as much as I am!

5 comments:

  • Dr. Cheryl Carvajal
     

    I'm working on my novel--revising, but the second half is pretty much REWRITING--instead of doing NaNoWriMo. Still, I am motivated, too, and I find myself trilling around the house, grinning because I get to write some more.

    I've been checking out several sites lately, and most of the writers are spinning along, although each one seems to feel less motivated, and fear more and more that the last half or so is going to be tossed eventually, since they are creating under duress.

    I find myself reluctant to write after taking too long a break (or being too busy)... once I get to it, though, I am entirely MOTIVATED...

    Happy writing, and I can't wait to read your novel!

  • Dr. Cheryl Carvajal
     

    Ooh, and one more thing: Could you read mine once I've finished working on it this time around? And could you be really tough on it? So far I haven't had anyone rip it to shreds, and I need that.

  • Stephanie Barr
     

    Of course. Always. I'm always honest. I will tear it to shred only so much that I think the comment will help you make a better book (with the caveat that my opinion on the matter does not make it so).

  • The Mother
     

    I'm at 20,000, but I stopped to rework an ending for the previous one. So sue me.

  • Jeff King
     

    I started Jan 16 09

    Started the first book and got to 44k words before i realized this should be the second book.

    So now I am 38k words on my first book. Its going slow, can't find the time to write. But I am still working on it as much as possible.

    Keeping my nose to the grind stone.

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations