Saturday Quotathon: Illness, Mental or Otherwise

>> Saturday, September 26, 2009


I am starting to feel better, finally. I will try to work out later tonight, but the workouts on the weekend are optional so I'll always have Saturday Quote-a-thons and Sunday Soapboxes, for those that were worried. Given my bout with who-knows-what it was/is (since I'm not exactly all better yet), let's see what I can find on illness, including mental illness.

This is a do-it-yourself test for paranoia: you know you've got it when you can't think of anything that's your fault.
--Robert Maynard Hutchins

There are so many alcoholic writers because if you have to be face to face with yourself, it is best if one of you is drunk.
--Fran Lebowitz

Time and trouble will tame an advanced young woman, but an advanced old woman is uncontrollable by any earthly force.
--Dorothy L. Sayers

I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.
--James Thurber

When I was younger, I could remember anything, whether it had happened or not; but my faculties are decaying now and soon I shall be so I cannot remember any but the things that never happened. It is sad to go to pieces like this but we all have to do it.
--Mark Twain

I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat.
--Rebecca West

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
-Isaac Asimov

Yuki: You truly are an idiot.
Kyo: So what? You going to hit me now?
Yuki: And wouldn't it hurt more if I didn't?
-From Fruits Basket anime

Vance: [after telling Hitch that he only wants a girl so he can sleep with her] No, I was told that you help guys get in there.
Alex Hitch Hitchens: Right, but see, here's the thing - my clients actually *like* women. "Hit it and quit it" is not my thing.
Vance: Let me make one thing clear to you, rabbi, I need professional help.
Alex Hitch Hitchens: Well, *that* is for damn certain
-From Hitch

Eccentricity is not, as dull people would have us believe, a form of madness. It is often a kind of innocent pride, and the man of genius and the aristocrat are frequently regarded as eccentrics because genius and aristocrat are entirely unafraid of and uninfluenced by the opinions and vagaries of the crowd.
-Edith Sitwell

No lesson seems to be so deeply inculcated by the experience of life as that you should never trust experts. If you believe doctors, nothing is wholesome: if you believe the theologians, nothing is innocent: if you believe the soldiers, nothing is safe. They all require their strong wine diluted by a very large admixture of insipid common sense.
-Robert Gascoyne-Cicil, Lord Salisbury

And I have no desire to get ugly, But I cannot help mentioning that the door of a bigoted mind opens outwards so that the only result of the pressure of facts upon it is to close it more snugly.
-Ogden Nash

Among the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
-Arabic Proverb

Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased — thus do we refute entropy.
- Spider Robinson

Fanaticism consists in redoubling your effort when you have forgotten your aim.
- George Santayana

He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.
- William Drummond

Nothing is so catching as the plague; now, fanaticism, no matter of what nature, is only the plague of the human mind.
-Giacomo Casanova

For fast-acting relief, try slowing down.
-Lily Tomlin

The most perfect technique is that which is not noticed at all.
-Pablo Casals

Of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong. I'm mad but not ill.
-Robert Anton Wilson

That should do for now. I'll try to catch up with all of you soon.

7 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations